New York City, US
To support our mission to educate, entertain and enrich the lives of our readers, putting books in their hands, wherever, however and whenever they choose, we need exceptional people!
The Quarto Group is seeking a Designer for our NYC office! This position will encompass a wide range of responsibilities including conceptualizing, designing, and managing the creation of high-quality illustrated books, calendars, kits and journals as well as promotional materials to support the sales team. S/he will ensure the graphic excellence of assigned books, calendars and other products. Come join our creative team!
The key responsibilities for this role include but are not limited to:
- Working with Creative Director and editorial team to conceptualize cover and interiors for books with a sharp and cutting-edge design sensibility.
- Preparing jacket, cover, and interior mechanicals for the printer and being responsible for overseeing all stages of design from manuscript to bound book on assigned titles.
- Checking color proofs and reviewing page proofs for accuracy.
- Ensuring projects (and files) comply with company standards for budget, schedule, and quality.
- Making final review changes to photo, illustration, and layout files.
- Ability to create cover comps, mockups and marketing/sales pieces for co-editions, special sales and custom projects on accelerated deadlines.
- Hiring and managing freelance designers for illustrated books, providing briefs, maintaining schedules.
- Can successfully art direct freelancers as needed to ensure on-time delivery of files while achieving the overall style and look for various imprints and needs.
- Research and secure additional photography or illustrations for projects as needed.
- Organizing project materials for freelancers.
- Executing contracts and processing invoices for freelance artists.
- Keeping projects moving smoothly to maintain publication schedule.
- Archiving all project files.
- Liaise with production department to maintain best practices for file management.
- Work within established schedules to ensure projects deliver on deadline.
- Communicate schedule and deadline concerns to Creative Director and Managing Editor.
- Oversee and/or actively direct studio photography for assigned books as needed.
- Prepare files for project transmittals to production.
- Additional duties as directed by Creative Director.
Do you have the following skills and qualifications?
- Ability to identify/evaluate successful cover and interior book design.
- Demonstrated experience in managing freelance resources with excellent communication skills.
- Works well under pressure in a fast-paced environment demonstrating organized and methodical work habits.
- Knowledge of printing processes and ability to review files with regard to technical integrity.
- Broad understanding of current book production technology and procedures.
- High level of proficiency of the Adobe Creative Suite, including InDesign, Acrobat, Photoshop, Illustrator in addition to Suitcase Fusion, Flightcheck, Genuine Fractals, Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Knowledge of digital photography and familiarity with studio environment.
- Digital image manipulation and retouching skills.
- Working ties to a network of freelance resources.
- Four-year degree from an accredited college, with a major in design or related subject.
- Minimum three years experience in print publishing field, preferably book publishing.
- Ongoing participation in continuing career education.
- Strong portfolio demonstrating page and cover design abilities.
- Knowledge or experience in studio photography a plus.
- Demonstrated experience in managing staff or freelance resources.
- Interest in subject matter relevant to publishing categories.
To apply please submit cover letter, resume and/or portfolio to email@example.com.
QuartoUS is an equal opportunity employer; M/F/D/V are encouraged to apply.