New York City, US
To support our mission to educate, entertain and enrich the lives of our readers, putting books in their hands, wherever, however and whenever they choose, we need exceptional people!
The Quarto Group is seeking an Acquiring Editor responsible for acquiring and developing minimum of 20 illustrated and design driven titles annually in the areas of cooking, mindfulness, light reference and lifestyle. The Acquiring Editor will work closely with the publisher to define, develop, and execute the books from concept through publishing strategy. The editor will be responsible to maintain a consistent and multi-faceted proposal pipeline in accordance with the publisher and publishing team strategy. Come join our team at our NYC office!
The key responsibilities for this role include but are not limited to:
- Develop 20+ books and ancillary products annually
- Concept, brief, and acquire a steady stream of proposals to propose at regular acquisitions meetings.
- Develop timely, on-trend products with strong, well-positioned authors.
- Leverage re-packaging opportunities from our existing content for ancillary products.
- Perform continual research to remain on top of trends and competition in the marketplace, online and in the blogosphere.
- Responsible for contract negotiations with authors and agents and P&L on project acquisitions and project development.
- Work closely with the authors to shape the content, style, and approach of each book.
- Coach the author and other contributors during the writing process to keep them on track and on target for delivery.
- Evaluate authors' manuscripts and artwork or photography for quality, voice, consistency, and market appropriateness.
- Responsible for notifying all authors and contributors in writing about any repackaging plans regarding their books in a timely fashion, and bringing the author's expertise and feedback in-house to team meetings (acquisitions, cover/design, sales).
- Write marketing materials including Advance Information sheets, jacket copy, and book descriptions.
- Develop and write sales presentation materials.
Do you have the following skills and qualifications?
- Excellent grammar, writing, editing, and communication skills.
- Manuscript management experience.
- Able to work with authors to develop excellent content.
- Skilled in understanding book offers, publishing terms, and ability to negotiate.
- Bachelor's degree.
- 3-5 years of experience in acquisitions or content development.
- Familiarity with MS Word editing software.
...then we want to hear from you!
To apply please submit cover letter and resume resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
QuartoUS is an equal opportunity employer; M/F/D/V are encouraged to apply