Acquiring & Development Editor
To support our mission to educate, entertain and enrich the lives of our readers, putting books in their hands, wherever, however and whenever they choose, we need exceptional people!
The Quarto Group is seeking an Acquiring & Developmental Editor to support the effort to create a cohesive, high-level publishing program that considers current creative trends, the desires and needs of our core audience, and the broader marketplace to create beautiful, in-demand books and products. They also complete the editorial work needed to develop the final product. Come join our team at our NYC office!
The key responsibilities for this role include but are not limited to:
- Develop 15-20 books and ancillary products annually
- Concept, brief, and acquire a steady stream of proposals to propose at regular acquisitions meetings.
- Develop timely, on-trend products with strong, well-positioned authors.
- Leverage re-packaging opportunities from our existing content for ancillary products.
- Perform continual research to remain on top of trends and competition in the marketplace, online and in the blogosphere.
- Responsible for contract negotiations with authors and agents and P&L on project acquisitions and project development.
- Work closely with the authors to shape the content, style, and approach of each book.
- Coach the author and other contributors during the writing process to keep them on track and on target for delivery.
- Evaluate authors' manuscripts and artwork or photography for quality, voice, consistency, and market appropriateness.
- Responsible for notifying all authors and contributors in writing about any repackaging plans regarding their books in a timely fashion, and bringing the author's expertise and feedback in-house to team meetings (acquisitions, cover/design, sales).
- Write marketing materials including Advance Information sheets, jacket copy, and book descriptions.
- Throughout the life of the book or product, act as content "expert" and author delegate to help shape marketing plans, sales strategies, and PR opportunities.
- Brainstorm unique ideas and opportunities with the marketing and sales team that reflect the unique subject matter or unique author platform.
- Researching, acquiring, selecting, and organizing artwork, photos, and other illustration materials, in conjunction with Acquiring Editor.
- Ensuring that all necessary text and illustration permissions are in place and securing permission from appropriate parties or helping the author do so.
- Preparing and transmitting project materials for Design and Production.
Do you have the following skills and qualifications?
- Excellent grammar, writing, editing, and communication skills.
- Experience in developing content related to art, crafts, food and beauty health and lifestyles desired.
- Familiarity with social networking and subject related blogs desired.
- Bachelor's degree.
- 5 years of experience in acquisitions or content development.
- Familiarity with MS Word editing software.
...then we want to hear from you!
To apply please submit cover letter, salary requirements and resume to email@example.com.
QuartoUS is an equal opportunity employer; M/F/D/V are encouraged to apply