Editorial Director, Children's Product
To support our mission to educate, entertain and enrich the lives of our readers, putting books in their hands, wherever, however and whenever they choose, we need exceptional people!
The Quarto Group is seeking an Editorial Director for children's titles based in our brand new Seattle office as a part of the becker&mayer! division. S/he will be a product innovator who, along with the Group Publisher, can develop a Children's Publishing and Book Plus program that reflects the unique characteristics and values that becker&mayer! children's has been known for over the past 30+ years. We are looking for an individual who can lead teams and achieve results in a collaborative environment. In addition to understanding budgeting, acquisitions, creating P&Ls and the like, this individual will be passionate about building an amazing list that helps kids grow, learn and have fun!
The key responsibilities for this role are:
- Ideate, pitch and manage approved seasonal publishing lists, including identifying potential series opportunities.
- Develop concepts and formats that differentiate the becker&mayer! kids list from all other publishers.
- Work with the Sr. Licensing Manager to develop concepts for publishing / packaging within the licensed properties available to us.
- Serve as the point-person for developing, implementing and executing all product initiatives and activities for kid's books, book plus, series or any brands we develop.
- Supervise all aspects of a product line, from conception to creation.
- Analyze and evaluate assigned markets, identifying growth opportunities.
- Coordinate market research studies which verify the accuracy and appropriateness of the publishing program.
- Traffic projects through all stages of editorial and production and coordinate the process with the authors.
- Work closely with sales and marketing to ensure strategic planning and scheduling of new items.
- Recommend initial printings, reprints and price adjustments which will maximize gross profit.
- Prepare and administer the assigned program budget. Ensure that expenditures are compatible with current objectives.
- Ensure timely deliverables of editorial staff.
This role will require the following skills and qualifications:
- Knowledge of Publishing or Toy industries with an emphasis on product development and format innovation.
- Experience with Brand Planning and Management with a proven ability of successfully developing market-ready products.
- A proven record of meeting deadlines and budgets while maintaining the highest level of quality control.
- Ability to analyze trends to determine their longevity and validity as product concepts.
- Ability to determine the validity of book proposals or unsolicited manuscripts.
- A minimum of 5 years' experience in the Publishing or Toy business.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field.
- Experience managing staff.
To apply please submit resume, cover letter and salary requirements by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
QuartoUS is an equal opportunity employer; M/F/D/V are encouraged to apply.