New York, US
To support our mission to educate, entertain and enrich the lives of our readers, putting books in their hands, wherever, however and whenever they choose, we need exceptional people!To support our mission to educate, entertain and enrich the lives of our readers, putting books in their hands, wherever, however and whenever they choose, we need exceptional people!
The Quarto Group is seeking a talented, highly motivated Art Director for our New York office. This position encompasses a wide range of responsibilities including conceptualizing, designing, and managing the creation of high-quality illustrated books, calendars, kits, and journals as well as promotional materials to support the sales team. They ensure the graphic excellence of assigned books, calendars and other products. The Art Director will work with the Creative Director and editorial team to conceptualize cover and interiors for books with a sharp and cutting-edge design sensibility. This position is located in our New York office but we will consider remote applications for a stellar candidate. Are you the right person for this incredible opportunity? Creative energy, strong design sensibility, passion and a sense of humor are essential. Come join the team!
The key responsibilities for this role include but are not limited to:
- Preparing jacket, cover, and interior mechanicals for the printer and being responsible for overseeing all stages of design from manuscript to bound book on assigned titles.
- Checking color proofs and reviewing page proofs for accuracy.
- Ensuring projects (and files) comply with company standards for budget, schedule, and quality.
- Making final review changes to photo, illustration, and layout files.
- Ability to create cover comps, mockups and marketing/sales pieces for co-editions, special sales and custom projects on accelerated deadline.
- Freelancer Management including: Hiring and managing freelance designers for illustrated books, providing briefs, maintaining schedules. Research and secure additional photography or illustrations for projects as needed. Organizing project materials for freelancers. Executing contracts and processing invoices for freelance artists.
- Project Management Including: Keeping projects moving smoothly to maintain publication schedule. Work within established schedules to ensure projects deliver on deadline. Communicate schedule and deadline concerns to Creative Director and Managing Editor. Prepare files for project transmittals to production.
Do you have the following skills and qualifications?
- Broad understanding of current book production technology and procedures.
- High level of proficiency of the Adobe Creative Suite, including InDesign, Acrobat, Photoshop, Illustrator in addition to Suitcase Fusion, Flight check, Genuine Fractals, Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Ability to identify/evaluate successful cover and interior book design.
- Demonstrated experience in managing freelance resources with excellent communication skills.
- Works well under pressure in a fast-paced environment demonstrating organized and methodical work habits.
- Knowledge of printing processes and ability to review files with regard to technical integrity.
- Four-year degree from an accredited college, with a major in design or related subject.
- Minimum five years' experience in print publishing field, preferably book publishing.
- Strong portfolio demonstrating page and cover design abilities.
...then we want to hear from you!
To apply please submit letter of interest, and resume by email to email@example.com.
QuartoUS is an equal opportunity employer; M/F/D/V are encouraged to apply.