Boston North Shore, US
To support our mission to educate, entertain and enrich the lives of our readers, putting books in their hands, wherever, however and whenever they choose, we need exceptional people!
The Quarto Group is seeking a Controller who will serve as "Business Partner" to The Quarto Group CFO and senior management team by providing financial leadership, accurate/timely financial information, and fully supporting the vision, mission, and strategic objectives. This person will play a lead role in the development & enforcement of policies and procedures related to internal controls and accounting disciplines. Working closely with the CFO to manage and train accounting personnel with the goal of formulating a solid, cohesive team that will provide excellent customer service to both internal and external customers, this person will lead the financial team located in our brand-new office on the north shore of Boston!
The key responsibilities for this role include but are not limited to:
- Management of an efficiently run department.
- Provide department vision, motivation and team building among the department staff.
- Determine department staff requirements to create and achieve a productive department
- Ensure appropriate internal controls and accounting disciplines are in place, including account reconciliation's and reserve analysis.
- Research and implement relevant industry accounting and reporting standards. Ensure financial results are presented consistently and accurately and comply with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Prepare and review a monthly Statement of Operations including P&L, balance sheet, cash flow, and key indicator reports.
- Responsible to assist in preparation of forecasts and budgets.
- Responsible for educating and communicating financial results to non-financial managers.
- Ensure adherence to established standards for expense approval, asset capitalization, T&E, risk management, record retention, and contract management.
- Ensure royalty obligations are monitored, calculated accurately, reconciled, and paid in accordance with contractual obligations.
- Maintain accurate 1099 compliance, reporting, and W9 records.
- Develop working relationship with external audit firm, develop and implement appropriate procedures to ensure compliance with relevant federal and state tax legislation.
- Develop action plan to address multi-state nexus issues related to sales tax and ensure tax reporting and filings are in compliance with state and local legislation.
- Work with external vendors in definition of reporting requirements and accurate account maintenance, including credit terms, receivables management, and cash application.
- Build strong relationship with internal departments regarding cash flow, inventory, and contractual royalties, so the departments feel confident with the finance department.
- Communicate with sister company accounting personnel to ensure proper inter-company account reconciliations.
- Field questions and provide relevant information to Quarto Corporate on as "as-needed" basis.
Do you have the following skills and qualifications?
- Extremely high attention to detail. Must be a "hands-on", organized, thorough professional who can manage multiple tasks and produce high quality, accurate information.
- Must be able to work within tight deadlines and put forth extra effort as necessary.
- Self-starter who will take the initiative to develop process improvement and analytical opportunities.
- Proven track record with managing accounting personnel and providing an environment that promotes cross-training and teamwork.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills. Must have the ability to work well cross-functionally.
- Demonstrated skills and ability to use computers including Microsoft software products, such as Word and Excel, and various accounting packages.
- Strong analytical skills, including comprehensive knowledge in financial decision modeling.
- Computer proficiency, including experience with CISPUB, Solomon and spreadsheet/report writing software.
- Bachelor's Degree in accounting.
- Minimum 10 years of accounting experience including:
- At least 5 years managing an accounting group whose responsibilities include Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Inventory Management, Income Statement Preparation, Cash Flow Projection, Cash Management, Job Costing, Royalty Accounting, and Variance Analysis.
- Solid understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Prior experience in the book publishing industry, including exposure to royalty accounting, managing inventory in multiple warehouse locations, and foreign billings.
- Experience supporting personnel in multiple office locations.
...then we want to hear from you!
To apply please submit your cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
QuartoUS is an equal opportunity employer; M/F/D/V are encouraged to apply.