Boston North Shore, US
To support our mission to educate, entertain and enrich the lives of our readers, putting books in their hands, wherever, however and whenever they choose, we need exceptional people!
The Quarto Group is seeking an Acquisitions Editor responsible for acquiring and developing 15-20 titles a year in the areas of gardening and home. The acquiring editor works closely with the publisher, editorial director, authors, copyeditors, project managers, illustrators and designers to define, develop, and execute the books and ancillary products from concept through marketing strategy. The acquiring editor supports the effort to create a cohesive, high-level publishing program that takes into account current creative trends, the desires and needs of our core audience, and the broader marketplace to create beautiful, in-demand books and products. Come join the team at our brand new Boston North Shore office!
The key responsibilities for this role will be:
- Develop 15-20 books and ancillary products annually.
- Concept, brief, and acquire a steady stream of proposals to propose at regular acquisitions meetings.
- Develop timely, on-trend products with strong, well-positioned authors.
- Leverage re-packaging opportunities from our existing content for ancillary products.
- Perform continual research to remain on top of trends and competition in the marketplace, online and in the blogosphere.
- Responsible for contract negotiations with authors and agents and P&L on project acquisitions and project development
- Work closely with the authors to shape the content, style, and approach of each book.
- Coach the author and other contributors during the writing process to keep them on track and on target for delivery.
- Evaluate authors' manuscripts and artwork or photography for quality, voice, consistency, and market appropriateness
- Responsible for notifying all authors and contributors in writing about any repackaging plans regarding their books in a timely fashion, and bringing the author's expertise and feedback in-house to team meetings (acquisitions, cover/design, sales).
- Write marketing materials including Advance Information sheets, jacket copy, book descriptions.
- Throughout the life of the book or product, act as content "expert" and author delegate to help shape marketing plans, sales strategies, and PR opportunities.
- Brainstorm unique ideas and opportunities with the marketing and sales team that reflect the unique subject matter or unique author platform.
Do you have the following skills and qualifications?
- Bachelor's degree in English, Journalism, or related discipline
- 1-2 years of experience in acquisitions or content development
- Familiarity with MS Word editing software
- Excellent grammar, writing, editing, and communication skills.
- Experience in developing commercially-minded, illustrated content required. Work in gardening, home improvement, and/or horticulture preferred.
- Innovative, creative thinking with a commercial approach to publishing and the publishing industry.
- Experience in publishing commercially-minded illustrated, non-fiction books.
- Knowledge of commercial book development and production.
- Experienced at successfully developing marketable publishing concepts.
- Management experience a plus.
To apply please submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
QuartoUS is an equal opportunity employer; M/F/D/V are encouraged to apply.