Acquisitions Editor, Gardening
To support our mission to educate, entertain and enrich the lives of our readers, putting books in their hands, wherever, however and whenever they choose, we need exceptional people!
The Quarto Group is seeking an Acquisitions Editor, Gardening, responsible for content acquisition and book development. This position supports the effort to create a cohesive, high-level publishing program that is a leader in the gardening category. The ideal candidate will take into account current trends in the marketplace (both content and sales opportunities), the interests and needs of the core audience, and the broader marketplace to create beautiful, practical, and aspirational, in-demand books and book products! This hands-on position will work with the Group Publisher and, depending on his/her experience level, could manage other editors to evaluate, acquire, and develop proposals from concept through production. This role is located in our Minneapolis office!
The key responsibilities for this role will be:
- Manage all publishing processes, including but not limited to list planning, budgeting, acquisitions, creating P&Ls, and the overall development and coordination of creating new books and products through a book's release and shipping from the warehouse.
- Work with Group Publisher to oversee the design, editing, and production of a wide range of commercially-minded, heavily illustrated books and/or gift products in gardening, home improvement, and/or horticulture, or any market that Cool Springs Press enters into or has a presence in.
- Work with Group Publisher daily on content acquisitions efforts and individually manage author/designer relationships and contract negotiations.
- Act as an effective liaison between Cool Springs Press authors and editors, freelancers, and every department within the company.
- Traffic acquired projects through all stages of editorial development and production, and effortlessly and cheerfully coordinate this process with authors.
- With Group Publisher, work weekly with sales and marketing departments to ensure strategic planning and scheduling of new books and/or projects.
- Acquire 12-15 new commercially-minded, highly illustrated book projects and/or merchandise (book "plus" products) annually as directed by the Minneapolis Group Publisher.
- Brainstorm, create, and compose new project proposals for content and marketability independent of book agents
- Locate and contract authors and photographers for approved projects.
- Work with Art Directors and project managers to coordinate photography location and photography acquisition.
- On a weekly basis, write marketing materials, including Advance Information (AI) sheets, book jacket copy, book descriptions, and any other material needed to drive sales of projects.
- Throughout the entirety of the life of the book or product, act as content "expert" and author delegate to help shape and drive marketing plans, sales strategies, and PR opportunities.
- On a weekly basis, brainstorm unique ideas and opportunities with designated members of the marketing and sales team that reflect unique subject matter and/or unique author platform, as well as contribute to the social media efforts on a daily basis.
Do you have the following skills and qualifications?
- Excellent grammar, writing, editing, and communication skills.
- Experience in developing commercially-minded, illustrated content required. Work in gardening, home improvement, and/or horticulture preferred.
- Innovative, creative thinking with a commercial approach to publishing and the publishing industry.
- Experience in publishing commercially-minded illustrated, non-fiction books.
- Knowledge of commercial book development and production.
- Experienced at successfully developing marketable publishing concepts.
- Management experience a plus.
To apply please submit cover letter, salary expectations and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
QuartoUS is an equal opportunity employer; M/F/D/V are encouraged to apply.