Senior Acquisitions Editor
Boston North Shore, US
To support our mission to educate, entertain and enrich the lives of our readers, putting books in their hands, wherever, however and whenever they choose, we need exceptional people!
The Quarto Group is seeking a talented Acquiring Editor to join the team in our Boston North Shore office! This position will be responsible for acquiring and developing 15-20 titles a year in the areas of healthy eating, general cooking, health, fitness, self-help, lifestyle, and parenting. The Senior Acquiring Editor works closely with the publisher, editorial director, authors, copyeditors, project managers, illustrators and designers to define, develop, and execute the books from concept through publishing strategy. S/he will support the effort to create a cohesive, high-level publishing program that considers current creative trends, the desires and needs of our core audience, and the broader marketplace to create beautiful, in-demand books and products. Are you the right person for the job? Creative energy, self-motivation, passion and a sense of humor are essential. Come join our team!
The key responsibilities for this role will be:
- Develop 15-20 books and ancillary products annually.
- Concept, brief, and acquire a steady stream of proposals to propose at regular acquisitions meetings.
- Develop timely, on-trend products with strong, well-positioned authors.
- Leverage re-packaging opportunities from our existing content for ancillary products.
- Perform continual research to remain on top of trends and competition in the marketplace, online and in the blogosphere.
- Responsible for contract negotiations with authors and agents and P&L on project acquisitions and project development
- Work closely with the authors to shape the content, style, and approach of each book.
- Coach the author and other contributors during the writing process to keep them on track and on target for delivery.
- Evaluate authors' manuscripts and artwork or photography for quality, voice, consistency, and market appropriateness
- Responsible for notifying all authors and contributors in writing about any repackaging plans regarding their books in a timely fashion, and bringing the author's expertise and feedback in-house to team meetings (acquisitions, cover/design, sales).
- Write marketing materials including Advance Information sheets, jacket copy, book descriptions.
- Throughout the life of the book or product, act as content "expert" and author delegate to help shape marketing plans, sales strategies, and PR opportunities.
- Brainstorm unique ideas and opportunities with the marketing and sales team that reflect the unique subject matter or unique author platform.
Do you have the following skills and qualifications?
- Bachelor's degree in English, Journalism, or related discipline
- 5-7 years of experience in acquisitions or content development
- Familiarity with MS Word editing software
- Excellent grammar, writing, editing, and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a team player in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Displays diplomacy and good judgment
- Experience in developing content related to art, design, and creative pursuits.
- Familiarity with social networking and subject related blogs
To apply please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
QuartoUS is an equal opportunity employer; M/F/D/V are encouraged to apply.