Job title: Associate Publisher
Ever since QED's inception in 2003, each book has been specifically designed to make learning exciting, stimulating and fun for children. Our diverse range of titles covers everything from entertaining, innovative facts for the classroom to engaging, trend-orientated titles for the commercial trade market and beautifully illustrated fiction.
We are looking for an experienced publishing professional, with knowledge of the educational and trade children's market and plenty of commercial nous, to further grow our successful QED educational trade co-edition business. You will be responsible for curating a list of high-quality books that will find audiences around the world in both English and foreign language, and will have an interest in the financial side of the business. Some sales or rights-selling experience would be beneficial.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A thorough understanding of the education sector, pedagogy and teaching methodologies
- A background in, or experience in, special sales and rights
- A good understanding of the children's educational, trade, clubs and fairs markets
- Experience in generating and managing P&Ls
- Experience in managing junior staff
- Confidence in influencing the editorial content and design of successful books
- Loads of ideas
- Strong negotiation skills
- A keen sense of emerging trends
- A close eye on enterprising publishers of all sizes throughout the English Language world
- An understanding of what drives successful illustrated books internationally.
QED produces 25-30 new books a year, exclusively on a co-edition basis in all markets. Its mission is simple – to create fresh, informative, high-quality books that will appeal to children, parents and teachers alike.
QED is well respected in its existing market and now needs a commercially minded creative Associate Publisher to develop even more exciting books to take it to the next level. Details of potential candidates should be sent to Jonathan.Gilbert@quarto.com
Behind the scenes
Four Quarto titles longlisted for the 2020 UKLA Book Awards
24 September 2019
Quarto employees show their support for the Global Climate Strike
23 September 2019