Product Development Manager
To support our mission to educate, entertain and enrich the lives of our readers, putting books in their hands, wherever, however and whenever they choose, we need exceptional people!
The Quarto Group is seeking a talented Product Development Manager to help lead and support all product design and development work on SmartLab Toys, and product development support for becker&mayer! Books. This person will work closely with the Senior Brand Manager and a small team of peer product developers to conceptualize, design, source manufacturing for, and execute a wide range of STEM/STEAM educational toys, science kits, and books with components for both children and adults. The ideal, experienced candidate will have a strong background of industrial design and product development capabilities, and have a full understanding of product design for manufacturing in China. He/She must demonstrate a working knowledge of collaborating with offshore vendors and manufacturers, including preferred experience in toy design, development, and manufacturing, plus emphasis in plastic component and materials sourcing, paper engineering for products and packaging, and electronics development for PCBs and audio modules. This position will be in our Seattle area office location. Come join our team!
The key responsibilities for this role include, but are not limited to:
- In close collaboration with the Senior Brand Manager, work to help oversee and manage a small Creative Team of product developers, designers, and freelancers working on a wide variety of educational toys, science kits, and books with components.
- Initiate and own all product specifications, BOMS, P&Ls, CAD + mechanical design file packages, and supporting assets and collateral each project. Work with team members to develop.
- Help move products from original concepts through comprehensive design and development to 3D prototypes to pre-production CAD and production-ready files.
- Help define original design directions, compose project proposals, and execute production of all required and supporting materials to both rigid and informal timelines.
- Prepare all draft and final files for approval processes, tooling and modifications, and final art mechanicals.
- Collaborate with and support editorial, design, and production staff to meet necessary deliverables and deadlines.
- Contribute to the production of models, mock-ups, and 3D prototypes to prove concepts and approve manufacturing, and to help support company marketing, sales, and management needs.
- Communicate progress with Senior Brand Manager, peer managers, and Creative Team regularly on a daily and weekly basis via verbal and email communications.
- Provide input, feedback, and response to product developers, graphic designers, and editors.
- Make recommendations regarding design-centric issues and creative processes company-wide.
- Make initiatives to improve internal creative processes, project management, and design production.
- Work efficiently with all outside creative contractors, freelancers, and vendors.
- Execute and/or manage product and artwork photography where necessary per design project.
- Additional duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Do you have the following skills and qualifications?
- At least 3-6 years of design work professional industrial design and product development experience required.
- BA, BFA, or BID in Industrial Design, Product Design Engineering, or equivalent educational experience and degree
- Previous team collaborative experience and experience with staff management preferred.
- Knowledge of China-based vendor relationships and manufacturing processes, overseas sourcing and fulfillment, and offshore rapid prototyping.
- Children's toy, games, and/or educational/science product development experience desired, with an emphasis on end-user behavior and requirements.
- Excellent computer skills using both current Apple Mac OS and Microsoft Windows platforms required. Proficiency with Adobe Creative Cloud required, with intermediate to advanced proficiency using Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign.
- Moderate professional experience with 3D printing and prototyping required, using both additive and reductive processes.
...then we want to hear from you!
To apply please submit cover letter, salary expectations and resume to email@example.com.
QuartoUS is an equal opportunity employer; M/F/D/V are encouraged to apply.