Marketing & Publicity Manager
Boston North Shore, US
To support our mission to educate, entertain and enrich the lives of our readers, putting books in their hands, wherever, however and whenever they choose, we need exceptional people!
The Quarto Group is seeking a Marketing & Publicity Manager to plan and execute marketing and publicity strategy and tactics for key titles, primarily Cooking and Lifestyle with some other areas as needed. This position will work in partnership with the Publishers, Editors and Authors from the proposal stage of the book to provide market research and feedback, build promotional marketing partnerships and strategies, and maximize publicity and marketing opportunities as part of the publishing strategy of the books. Come join our wonderful team in our brand new office located on the North Shore of Boston!
The key responsibilities for this role will be:
- Maintain a detailed and well-organized database of contacts and mailings.
- Plan and execute marketing and PR strategy, including long leads and any author publicity events or appearances.
- Produce excellent press releases, media kits, materials and packages that will get attention and review coverage.
- Ensure thorough, repetitive, and charming follow-up to all pitches.
- Work with the authors to publicize themselves alongside their titles, and if appropriate, hold author events and tours where necessary.
- Hold regular check-ins with top authors of the front list of your titles where appropriate, coaching, directing, and integrating their promotional activities with those being executed in house.
- Where necessary, arrange for author interviews, excerpts, and reviews in print, broadcast, and online media and coordinate author events and book signings.
- Organize mailings of review copies and supporting material, arrange for production and mailing of ARCs, blads, etc. and maintain a detailed and well-organized database of contacts and mailings.
- Analyze and report on the results of marketing and publicity initiatives and their impact on sales on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis, as appropriate.
- Manage budgets, schedules, and priorities in support of these initiatives, considering the appropriate level of resources, target audience, type of media, materials, and associated events.
- Communicate regularly to the company on publicity initiatives, developments, and accomplishments.
- Work with National Account and Specialty Sales Reps to ensure customers are informed of marketing and publicity activity that might support sales efforts in the various channels, and partner with them to provide publicity coverage that may aid their sales strategies.
Do you have the following skills and qualifications?
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in marketing, communication, or business.
- 5+ years' experience in marketing of enthusiast or consumer-based products.
- Highly creative with an ability to conceive of new and innovative approaches to marketing.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively and in partnership with Publishing, Sales, and authors.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented, with time-management and multi-tasking skills and ability to set and meet deadlines and budgets.
- Strong negotiation and problem-solving skills.
- Thorough knowledge of media, public relations, and publicity organizations and/or book publishing.
- Computer skills, including familiarity with spreadsheets, word processing, database, and desktop publishing programs.
- Willingness to travel to trade shows or conventions as needed.
...then we want to hear from you!
To apply, please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
QuartoUS is an equal opportunity employer; M/F/D/V are encouraged to apply.