Learn the science of structures and seismology as you construct different kinds of buildings and then test them against the multi-speed shake table just like a real engineer!
Did you know that skyscrapers can withstand some types of earthquakes better than a single-story house? Aftershock! Earthquake Lab gives you the information and materials you need to build dozens of different buildings. Once built, use the motorized, variable-speed shake table—modeled after the enormous versions that engineers use to test real structures and materials—and watch how your buildings handle quakes of different types, magnitudes, and durations.
The 24-page illustrated activity book explains the science of tectonic plates, types of faults, seismic waves, ghost forests, sea-floor volcanoes, the causes of earthquakes, and more! You’ll also discover the engineering tricks that provide structural stability for the tallest buildings in the deadliest quake zones.
- Quaking, shaking, building-breaking educational fun: Use the panels and girders to build a range of different types of structures outlined in the guide, then test their stability with the multi-speed shake table based on real engineering equipment
- 53-piece kit includes a shake table modeled after the large-scale version used by real engineers: motorized dual-action shake machine with variable speed, 32 building girders, 9 floor panels, 8 wall panels, 1 base panel, 6 interchangeable quake keys, 3 interlocking power spines, sticker sheet, and 24-page illustrated science activity book
- 24-page activity book explains the science behind the fun: Investigate plate tectonics, seismic waves, what paleontology can tell us about the shifting of continents, the engineering behind earthquake-resistant buildings, and more as you construct and destruct your own buildings
- All you need to add are three 1.5V AA (LR6) batteries, not included: Everything else you need to shake up some fun is there
- Perfect for budding engineers and geophysicists ages 8+: Great activity for sleepovers, play dates, or family fun nights