To support our mission to educate, entertain and enrich the lives of our readers, putting books in their hands, wherever, however and whenever they choose, we need exceptional people!
The Quarto Group is seeking a talented Graphic Designer to join our team as a part of the becker&mayer! division located in our Seattle-area office. This person will work closely with creative teams to conceptualize, design and execute a wide range of books and kits for adults and kids. The ideal candidate will have a wide range of design capabilities and experience, but have a solid understanding of print and publishing, specializing in text-driven books with complex interiors. He/she must have an expert-level understanding of InDesign with a demonstrated knowledge of advanced typesetting skills as shown through a portfolio of professional work.
The key responsibilities for this role are:
- Work closely and collaboratively with a creative team to create engaging licensed and non-licensed products for our adult and kids publishing imprints, as well as third-party publishers.
- Responsible for art directing and designing projects assigned by design manager, seeing all projects through from concept and creative development, to design, delivery, and proof-checking.
- Create strong designs within budget that are appropriate to the customer and stand out against competing products in the marketplace.
- Present concept and design direction at design reviews, and estimate time and costs for creative work.
- Maintain communication and manage design needs and deadlines for assigned projects with teams consisting of an editor and production coordinator, as well as a photo researcher, illustrator and/or product developer as needed.
- Support the sales team by delivering required sales materials for assigned projects.
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in Graphic Design or related field
- 5+ years experience working in an in-house creative department in print or publishing
- Experience with packaging and specialty printing preferred but not required
- Extensive knowledge of InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator for Mac OS
- Must demonstrate a solid understanding of composition, layout, and typography for multipage documents with a grid structure
- Must know how to properly set up InDesign files, using advanced techniques to flow and style text straight from a manuscript delivered in Microsoft Word
To apply, please submit resume, cover letter and salary expectations to email@example.com
QuartoUS is an equal opportunity employer; M/F/D/V are encouraged to apply.