To support our mission to educate, entertain and enrich the lives of our readers, putting books in their hands, wherever, however and whenever they choose, we need exceptional people!
The Quarto Group is looking for a Design Assistant to join our Seattle team! This position will encompasses a wide range of responsibilities including file preparation for all reprints and foreign language editions, creation and delivery of sales marketing materials, and page layout as needed. The Design Assistant works with all departments, helps problem solve, and efficiently manages multiple titles simultaneously under tight deadlines.
The key responsibilities for this role include but are not limited to:
- Prepare jacket, cover, and interior files for foreign language translation and is responsible forworking with editorial to coordinate all stages of foreign language editions.
- Communicate and work closely with production department to ensure all English languageand foreign reprint files are handled swiftly and accurately.
- Assist the Design Manager and Design team in implementing comment corrections as well as assist in page layout
- Prepare files for printers including checking files, preparing images for print, creating print-ready files and tackle any production issues that arise from the printers
- Ensure projects (and files) comply with company standards for budget, schedule, and quality.
- Locate and de-archive files for the team as needed.
- Coordinate with editors, designers, and sales managers to pull covers and/or interior samples and create various marketing assets as needed.
- Assist in the creation and coordination of physical sales deliverables for trade shows, sales meetings, etc.3. Assist in securing additional design assets or photography assets for projects as needed.
- Create physical mockups of partial books to use as sales materials.
- Assist in keeping projects moving smoothly to maintain publication schedule.
- Archive all title and project files to keep our file structure up-to-date and maintained.
- Work within established schedules to ensure projects deliver on deadline.
- Communicate schedule and deadline concerns to Design Manager, Managing Editor, and Publisher as needed.
- Additional duties as directed by supervisor.
Do you have the following skills and qualifications?
Minimum Skills, Knowldge & Abilities:
- Very high attention to detail.
- Well-organized and able to work on proposals and projects simultaneously.
- Ability to review files with regard to technical integrity.
- Working understanding of current book production technology and procedures.
- Strong computer skills including MAC OS X systems, MS Office Suite.
- Proficient with Adobe Creative Suite, including InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Bridge
- Understanding of page layout grids, templates, copyediting and proofreading marks and their applications.
- Able to work independently and in a team environment.
- Strong communication skills; both written and verbal.
Education and Experience:
- Four-year degree from an accredited college, or equivalent work experience.
- Portfolio demonstrating page and cover design abilities.
- Interest in subject matter relevant to publishing categories.
- Experience in print publishing field, preferably book publishing.
- Digital photography editing and retouching skills
- Ongoing participation in continuing career education.
Salary Range for this position is between $40-42K.
To apply please submit cover letter, salary expectations and resume by email to email@example.com.
QuartoUS is an equal opportunity employer; M/F/D/V are encouraged to apply.