Subtitle From Canvas to Club, and the Spaces Between
We love and strongly recommend this beautifully curated book. Celebrating the massive and lasting global impact of LGBTQI+ artists, a book like this is long overdue! Russell Tovey & Robert Diament, co-hosts of Talk Art podcast.
Celebrate the LGBTQI+ community with this vivid collection of artworks that charts queer voices from around the world.
The twentieth century saw key shifts for the LGBTQI+ community across the western world: from the Stonewall uprising to the first pride parades and homosexuality law reforms. The years following these milestone moments have seen queer life face new challenges, celebrations, injustices and liberations.
As ever, this journey has been closely mapped by art and culture. Artists working across all mediums – from painting, performance, digital and beyond – have captured key moments, from the HIV/AIDS crisis and the rise of drag, to marriage equality and the fight for trans liberation. The artists include:
- Andrew Logan, sculptor and founder of the Alternative Miss World party
- Leading artists David Hockney, Nicole Eisenmann and Zanele Muholi
- Late greats Greer Lankton, Andy Warhol, Francis Bacon and Tom of Finland
- Pioneers of Queer Cinema Derek Jarman and Sir Isaac Julien
- Ground-breaking photographers Nan Goldin, Ajamu X, Wolfgang Tilmans and Catherine Opie
- Contemporary art stars Sin Wai Kin, Zackary Drucker and Clifford Prince King
With nearly 200 artworks selected by leading LGBTQI+ curator Gemma Rolls-Bentley, this book mixes the high-brow with the low, gallery stalwarts with Instagram stars, and the racy with the fabulous. This is a unique celebration of queer life – a must-have for the LGBTQI+ community, art lovers and anyone interested in the culture surrounding queer identity.