We have an exciting new opening for a Senior Designer to work on our upcoming Quarto Gift list with a particular focus on gifts (games, puzzles, card decks, stationery) and colouring, puzzle and activity books. There will be a chance to work on related product for our bestselling Little People, BIG DREAMS series. This is a great opportunity to join a friendly, collaborative, and talented team at an exciting stage of its growth and to help shape its future. The position will be based at our London office but can include a mixture of office (3 days) and remote working.
Who we are:
Quarto is a leading global publisher of highly engaging illustrated non-fiction for the international market. Our readers are curious adults and enthusiasts, and our categories range from craft to art instruction, reference, well-being and esoteric. We work with expert author and illustrators to create innovative books with editorial integrity and strong design values. We are co-edition publishers so our books must have international appeal and must be built to last.
Who we are looking for:
Reporting to the Publisher, the successful candidate will have at least three years’ experience designing gifts. You should be highly organized and a good team player with excellent design and presentation skills. You will be commercially savvy, with a keen eye for new formats and fresh illustration talent. The successful candidate will work across a wide range of subject areas (from visual arts to gardening and nature, and popular culture to health and wellbeing) for both adult and children’s markets.
You should be passionate about maintaining high design standards. Experience of designing both gifts and books, as well as briefing illustrators and other freelance contributors is essential. Demonstrable skills in developing 3D mock-ups and other presentation materials will also be important for this role. What we can offer you in a return is the chance to develop your career in an inclusive, supportive and creative environment where everyone is encouraged to share their ideas and feedback.
- Design an average of 12–15 projects per year, mainly gifts and one or two books.
- Work with the Publisher to brief illustrators, photographers, artworkers and freelance designers.
- Work with the Publisher to draw up design schedules.
- Deliver files to Production in time to ensure print deadlines are met.
- Liaise with Production to develop new formats, review prototypes and define new methods for producing gifts.
- Ensure that Sales and Marketing material is provided on time and to a high standard.
- Check proofs and plotters.
- Engage with the Publisher in discussion of new projects.
- Research new illustrators, photographers, artworkers and freelance designers and maintain a list of regular contributors as well as a pool of fresh talent.
- Stay on top of current trends in illustration, design, packaging and branding through independent research and store visits.
The ideal candidate should:
- Have the ability to work collaboratively in a hybrid team environment, as well as independently.
- Demonstrate empathy skills and be open to new and different ways of working to achieve team goals.
- Contribute to the culture of Quarto Gift and the wider Quarto Group business through good communication, openness to sharing ideas and contributing to a sense of belonging for all colleagues.
- Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- Excellent knowledge of design for print and online.
- Ability to create original and commercially successful designs.
- Good communications skills, including the ability to create coherent briefs for illustrators, photographers, artworkers and freelance designers, and the communication of the design vision for each project to internal stakeholders.
- Understanding of the gift and colouring, puzzle and activity book markets.
- Project management skills.
- Advanced knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator.
- People management skills.
- Education and Experience
- A-level educated.
- At least three years’ experience of designing gifts.
- Advanced knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite.
To apply, please submit your CV and a covering letter to email@example.com.
Closing date for applications: 15 July 2022
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we receive, we only be able to respond to candidates selected for interview.
All applicants must be able to demonstrate the right to live and work in the UK in order to be considered for the vacancy.
Quarto Publishing plc. is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and treatment, ensuring an inclusive and diverse environment.
In order to create an equitable environment for all candidates invited to meet with us, the main interview questions will be provided at least 3 days in advance of your meeting.