Juvenile Book Editor
To support our mission to educate, entertain and enrich the lives of our readers, putting books in their hands, wherever, however and whenever they choose, we need exceptional people!
The Quarto Group is seeking a highly motivated Juvenile Book Editor, with juvenile book experience, who is dedicated to producing high-quality novelty books and licensed titles. This position will be in our Seattle, WA area office location as a part of becker&mayer! division. This role manages all editorial work from concept to publication for a variety of exciting book projects, as well as, shaping our own publishing list. This candidate must have relevant book editing experience, be highly collaborative, and work exceptionally well within a team dynamic.
Key responsibilities for this role include the following:
- Lead book development process from concept to publication on a variety of juvenile nonfiction and licensed novelty titles.
- Collaborate creatively with team members to develop and deliver high-quality and innovative proposals.
- Manage all facets of title creation and execution including initiating and developing new book ideas and formats, preparing acquisition materials, running profit and loss statements, building and monitoring schedules, and collaborating with in-house design and production staff.
- Cultivate strong relationships with publishing and licensing partners.
- Initiate creative brainstorms, motivate team members and effectively plan and execute new proposals.
- Research and enlist appropriate authors/illustrators, negotiate freelance agreements, and hire outside talent.
- Write pitches, sell sheets, catalog and marketing copy, and other content as needed.
- Keep up-to-date on publishing trends, and regularly perform competitive research in the marketplace.
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and qualifications:
- BA in English, journalism, or related area of study required.
- At least 5 years of editorial experience in juvenile novelty books required.
- Excellent writing, developmental editing, proofing, copyediting and line editing skills.
- Strong computer skills including Acrobat and MS Suite.
- Strong writing and grammar skills.
For consideration please submit cover letter, resume and salary requirements by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
QuartoUS is an equal opportunity employer; M/F/D/V are encouraged to apply.