Editorial Project Manager
Boston North Shore, US
To support our mission to educate, entertain and enrich the lives of our readers, putting books in their hands, wherever, however and whenever they choose, we need exceptional people!
The Quarto Group is seeking an Editorial Project Manager to join our creative team at our Boston North Shore office location! This role will serve as the liaison between the author(s) and the company's internal departments. In addition, this role will gather and organize day-to-day editorial responsibilities of book projects on the production schedule as they move through the editorial process. He or she will work with freelancers, in-house editors and art directors to ensure that the book conforms to contracted specifications, stays on budget, and meets the publisher's expectations when it is ready for final signoff by the managing editor. Come join our Boston North Shore team!
The key responsibilities for this role will be:
- Raise any issues with final manuscript based on its content.
- Provide feedback to author and acquisitions editor.
- Contract freelance editors to copyedit, proofread, and index projects.
- Review freelance editors' work and provide feedback to freelancers and managing editor.
- Coordinate editorial revisions to project after layout and ensure accuracy and consistency.
- Obtain sign-off from major stakeholders in the project (author, publisher, etc.)
- Attend weekly edit/production status meeting.
- Monitor data integrity in a title-management database.
- Gather and organize author submissions, including all elements of the manuscript, art log, book map, and any miscellaneous elements.
- Evaluate submissions and direct author on content and style. Work with author, and, if necessary, acquisitions editor and managing editor to revise submissions to meet company's guidelines/expectations.
- Act as primary contact person for author between their manuscript submission and final pages to printer date; ensure a smooth handoff from acquisitions editor and transmittal to design, production, and marketing departments.
- Collect and traffic appropriate endorsements for the book's cover and marketing materials
- Quality-check initial marketing copy (cover copy, online description, etc.) and ensure that marketing copy on online retail websites is updated and accurate when the book is shipped.
Do you have the following skills and qualifications?
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven proofreading/copy-editing skills.
- Ability to consistently meet deadlines while working on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Familiarity with The Chicago Manual of Style.
- Strong computer skills and proficiency with Microsoft Office applications.
- A bachelor's degree, preferably in journalism, communications, or english.
- 1 to 2 years' experience in an editorial department, preferably as a project editor.
...then we want to hear from you!
To apply please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
QuartoUS is an equal opportunity employer; M/F/D/V are encouraged to apply.